Friday, November 30, 2007

Santiago Airport

Now this was probably the most horrible episode of my trip...it was horrendous.
I flew from Colombia to Santiago without any hick ups. I was a little nervous landing in Chile but very excited and happy to be there.
Lucy and I had our first stop off in Santiago Airport at the beggining of our trip and found the staff to be unfriendly and rude.
This time around was no different infact it was probably worse.
I didnt recall paying an entry fee last time we were here so when they told me at customs that i had to pay an entry fee i was confused.
It was 56 US which I did not have on me. I had maxed out m credit card, had NO money on my atm card and the cash I had on me was minimal. I was quite nervous with what to do. I made myself in that situation because I knew my mama - Susie was coming the next day to Santiago with my money.
I tried my credit card anyway hoping by miracle it would go through. After 3 attempts and 1 machine change the lady took me over to the customs manager who told me I needed to pay this fee otherwise I would be heading back to Australia or Peru. This absolutely threw me over the edge because I had waited so long to be here and was meeting Susie the next day it would just be horrible for that to happen.
So I told them about Susie coming the next day and how she could pay for my fee and they agreed on this. This would be 8 hours away so they let me sleep in this tiny office with a tiny mattress. I was so nervous and scared to be in this situation.
Around 4 hours later a stewdess from Taca Airlines came in and told me we were going to Peru. She grabbed my baggage and started heading out. I was mortified and started screaming, yelling, swearing, abusing and crying. Telling her that I couldnt leave and that I was meeting Susie in 4 hours and that she could pay. She said if you dont pay now you are leaving. I was desperate I told her I was here to find my birth mother and I have been waiting to do this for 15 years. She didnt even bat an eyelid and started to walk out repeating your going.
I was a complete mess and ran out to the queue of the entry fee like a mad woman. I asked if anyone was Australian and they all said no. I then ran up to a group of Americans and desperately pleading to them my story and if they could pay my fee. God bless Americans is all I can say. They paid for me and I got their email address to pay them back. I ran out of customs so fast and into a cab sobbing and headed to the hotel were i would meet Susie.
I know this experience was totally my fault and I could have avoided it so easily but just the way the Chilean Staff dealt with it upset me and dissapointed me greatly. I can laugh about it now but when it was happening it was like a nightmare.

No comments: